Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Running at Lunch....Problem, No Shower!


So a couple of weeks back I blogged about how I am back torunning at work.  The greatest challenge has been, though, that while the last couple of companies I worked at had the luxury of showers my current company doesn’t.  However, I am just steps from one of the most widely used running trails in the country, the Embarcadero in San Francisco and I would have a hard time calling myself a serious runner if I didn’t take advantage of this gift.

So that lead me to explore how shower alternatives.  I mean, there are just too many runners in San Francisco running at lunch to not think there had to be alternatives.

So I did my research and came across these fun how to posts:




After reading these posts and coming I came up with this method:
    • Run no more than 40 to 45 minutes, allowing enough time to cool off after the run.  If you bring a lunch or bar to work, place it in your backpack and eat it while you are cooling off
    • If your desk is away from the entrance, see about leaving your backpack with the your change of clothes at the receptionist or security desk.
    • After cooling off for 5 or 10 minutes, go to your nearest restroom, and use the shower pad of your choice, then dry off with a towel and change.
Now I have tried several shower pads and they work pretty effectively.  Think of them as an over sized baby wipe made for runners or for backpackers.  On Friday you will find a review of the two I like the most.

1 comment:

  1. I have no Embarcadero to run on, so the mean streets of Cupertino will have to do. I do have access to a shower at work, but I don't want to spend the amount of time a shower takes. So the towel thing is interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete

submit to reddit