Friday, October 19, 2012

Trail Running feels soo sweet!


So this past weekend, Beth took me on a run to Burma Rd. up at Mt. Diablo.  It is so gorgeous back there that I was really excited to do it.  Especially since this would be the first run in awhile that we could do together, without the kids.

The run starts in the Castle Rock Regional Park in Walnut Creek and continues out the park into Mt. Diablo State Park along Stage Rd. After about two miles, we took a single track up Sunrise Trail to the main fire road that would take us up to Burma.  In all, there is about 1,900 feet of elevation gain.  

We saw nine deer this morning, and the weather was perfect.  Everywhere else in the Bay Area appeared to be socked in with fog, but not where we were.  Once we got to the top of the tough climb up Burma, we could see the entire Diablo Valley, the China Wall, and back over to Castle Rock.  Going down Burma Rd. trail was tougher than going up requiring us to sidestep most of the way.

Once we got back to Sunrise, we decided to run the ridge behind Castle Rock.  The prior week, Beth had found a trail down from the ridge and we attempted to find an easier way down.  Unfortunately, I am not the greatest trailblazer, so my way ended up being harder than the way Beth had discovered.  It required again, sidestepping down the mountain and climbing over two barbwire fences to get back to the main trail.  It was funny to see after our excursion the Contra Costa Search and Rescue practicing at the base of the trail.


That said, the view from the ridge is beautiful, with plenty wonderful rock formations to see; though, I wouldn't recommend the trail we used to come down.

So this weekend includes the much anticipated Rocky Ridge Trail run.  I will be running the 10K with my daughter and Sophie and Myles will be running the 5K with Beth.  The next day, Beth and I will get some long awaited hill training Clinic by Tim Long's (a.k.a. Footfeathers) ,Tim Waggoner (a.k.a. Lucho), and Victor Ballesteros   in the Marin Headlands. I will post on Monday how it all went!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm more than a bit jealous that you have that sort of thing as your "backyard" run. The fences don't sound fun, but seeing the Search and Rescue people makes me feel better about the Diablo race coming up. I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete

submit to reddit